Tuesday, February 13, 2024

Very Best

A new take of Best There Ever Was. This is my... fourth proper shot at it I think. And not a "final" version yet. I want to say something about that. 

Most of my posts on my blog I have not thought about once since I released them. An idea stuck in my mind had to be grabbed, written, and posted just so I could get back to equilibrium. None of my Legamon posts have ever given me that relief. And no other monster tamer style of game has satisfied me in the reading.

I press on toward this lofty ideal; a game that makes me feel like I did when I myself was ten, imagining a world of adventure and danger, but with friends. 

I think most of our hobby revolves around a similar desire to this. So forgive me for being stuck on this project for a few years. I can't move past it and I don't want to. I want to work the problem until I have something that I am proud of and that maybe will give others a glimpse of that wide wonderful world of monsters of my imagining.



This image gives me that feeling too. I hope you enjoy it. It is by local artist Jayme Brandt. I love the set so much I have them hanging in my house.

My last post on Gunnison was a new start to this project. These are the next addition of rules. There will be another 11 or so towns, 60 more legamon to hit that lofty 150. And possibly more besides.

This version holds central the *team*. It does so by learning from the excellent game Best Case Scenario by Mr. Parabola. As Hilander said recently, "If I'm fighting some doomsday cult, I'm going in charmanders blazing." Amen to that, brother. 

Also, this version includes "domain" rules in a way. The game is designed to be run for multiple players acting independently in a region with a map similar to the ones you are already familiar with; traveling routes, fighting gyms and evil teams, tracking rare monsters. This can be accomplished on a dedicated discord server to create a very unique and memorable gaming experience.

A parting word. I wish more bloggers would show their unfinished works, drafts 2 and 3 and 6 and 7. Go back to that post that is stuck in your mind and squeeze the idea again. And then show us what ahs haunted you all this time. We're not pros. We have no deadlines. We just have each other, this shitty blogging platform, and that elusive feeling we chase in our games.

No comments:

Post a Comment

T O W E R D U N G E O N

Click Here  For Hack I read a manga. I'm not a manga head, but this one was linked in the OSR server and I took a peak. After reading, I...