Thursday, April 18, 2019

Cathedral in Flames, Ode to Our Lady of Paris


Cathedral in flames, Ode to Our Lady of Paris




So the interior of Notre Dame has burned out. It was quite a shocking spectacle. I'd never known much about the building, but everyone's heard of it. As I saw the fire blazing away from the point of view of countless reporters and iphone users, I couldn't help but think the place was utterly magical. The intricate carvings, biblical iconography, centuries of history, and unquenchable fire. It was tragic and beautiful and evocative. In a small way, from someone a million miles removed, an Ode to Our Lady of Paris.

My design goals for this little dungeon were to respect the architecture and history of the building, make it gameable and fantastic, and to cross-link to tons of other pieces of the community project this is a part of.

The dungeon is submitted as part of the Indefinite Train community project. So technically the whole thing is on a train car hurtling through worlds and time, but it works pretty well without any of that, too. Just replace the italicized references with other monsters/NPCs and forget it's moving.

Apart from running the Indefinite Train, you could use it as an interesting site for a relic the PCs area after. Put the item up in the spire or bell towers. Your Moriarty analog could easily have sent a good to burn down the Cathedral. whatever.

Let me know if you use it! I'm extra interested in how using multiple ton magic bells goes. That and what sort of mischief 50+ toddler gargoyles get up to.

EDIT******

The format of the google doc was terrible and I just realized. Here is a link to the original document just uploaded to google drive as a pdf. I created the document as a pdf, so unfortunately I don't have an editable file for you. Here is the pdf.

No comments:

Post a Comment

T O W E R D U N G E O N

Click Here  For Hack I read a manga. I'm not a manga head, but this one was linked in the OSR server and I took a peak. After reading, I...